[sclug] pmount and umount in kubuntu

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 16:10:33 UTC 2005

How are you supposed to mount and unmount something like a CF card in
[k]ubuntu (and Debian generally, I guess). I get an icon on the desktop
or in konqueror's media:/ view, which I can use to mount and 'safely
remove' the device, but I want to do it from the command line or in a
script (i.e. properly :-)

I can pmount the device OK:

john at stonehenge:~/pix$ pmount /dev/sda1
john at stonehenge:~/pix$ mount
/dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,quiet,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)

But umount doesn't work:

john at stonehenge:~/pix$ umount /dev/sda1
umount: /dev/sda1 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

  - and there doesn't seem to be any option to pmount to unmount things.

--
John Stumbles