[sclug] OT: Mmmm, too hot...

Simon Champion simon at spudley.com
Fri Jul 22 20:00:59 UTC 2005

Hi there,

On Friday 22 July 2005 19:27, James Beckett wrote:
> Up-front Disclaimer: not a linux question - sorry...
>
> Home built, Asus A7N8X mobo, Athlon XP 3200+, Gainward GF4 Ti4600..
>
> Rebooted itself a few times while I was watching last Fri night, and now
> is being a steadfast dead duck. No POST beeps, no nothing.
>
> On plugging in I get the ATX light on the mobo; power-on winds up the fans,
> the HDs do their initial seek and then no further progress.

For what it's worth, I had an Asus A7N8X die on me with almost identical
symptoms earlier this year. Also while it was still under warranty.

You've already done more diagnostics than I did before having it replaced, so
I can't suggest anything else.

The only other symptom I noticed (which may or may not have been related) was
that the computer's clock had been running slow (losing 5-10 mins/day) in the
months leading up to the failure.

I did do some research at the time... didn't find anything to suggest it was a
common problem. I hope it isn't, although hearing of another similar case has
me worried now.

Sorry I can't be more help. All I can suggest for now is to send it back.

All the best,

   Simon C.

--
http://www.BadPuns.com - The site where you get your muds wordled.