[sclug] OT: Mmmm, too hot...

James Beckett sclug at hackery.net
Fri Jul 22 18:27:40 UTC 2005

Up-front Disclaimer: not a linux question - sorry...

The box in question has 'doze installed, but, um, that's not important right now.
Home built, Asus A7N8X mobo, Athlon XP 3200+, Gainward GF4 Ti4600..

Rebooted itself a few times while I was watching last Fri night, and now
is being a steadfast dead duck. No POST beeps, no nothing. Any thoughts on
things to try before I have a go at wrestling with Dabs to take the mobo
back under (manufacturer's) warranty?

I did manage to have a look in the BIOS between reboots before it died (without
changing anything); it claimed a cpu temp of ~55degC - hot, but not dangerously
so - and the A7N8X is supposed to have automatic CPU overtemp protection (though
who'd know if it didn't work..) MRTG records on my "real" machine right next to
it shows the hottest internal case temperature in the last year of records.

On plugging in I get the ATX light on the mobo; power-on winds up the fans, the
HDs do their initial seek and then no further progress.

I've tried -
 Leaving unplugged overnight to cool down / forget itself
 BIOS/RTC reset by jumper/battery fiddling
 Booting without memory / disks / gfx card, to try and provoke POST beeps
 Different CPU (but not sure if a 1.4GHz runs in this mobo anyway)
 PSU bypass from another PC.

That seems to eliminate every other piece of hardware in the machine...

-jmb
--
James Beckett <sclug at hackery.net>
<www.hackery.net/jmb/>