[sclug] Compaq Proliant 800

Hamlesh Motah admin at hamlesh.com
Wed Jun 1 21:16:08 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Having some "problems" with a Compaq Proliant 800, and was wondering if
anyone out there had one/experience with one.

1.

I am trying to fit it with a second CPU, however it comes back with
"Incompatible processor, halting" while posting.  I am wondering if this is
a limitation of the motherboard, or are there jumpers I can play with to
convince it to work with the second processor.  I tried googling a manual
but had little luck.

I have a matched pair (as far as I can tell) of cpus;

	Originally in the machine: P3 500Mhz with 512Kb Cache

	Pair I am trying to fit: 2 x P3 400Mhz with 1024Kb Cache

I am suspecting it's the increase in cache that's upsetting it, any
thoughts?

2.

Does anyone out there have compatible SCSI drives (I believe they are WIDE
ULTRA SCSI) with the compaq cradle that they would be looking to sell
(before I buy some off of eBay).

3.

Any idea what drivers the onboard NIC uses?  I must admit I haven't googled
this yet, but thought I may as well ask while writing this email (its
running slack 10.1)

Many thanks as always :)

Hamlesh Motah.