[sclug] driver for creative labs PCI 128

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 17:48:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Major Stuart wrote:

> I've been to alsa site and I know I need driver
> ens1370, but how do I download it from the site?  Am I
> just being a bit daft?

Are you sure it's not already loaded and working? Most modern distros manage
to do a pretty good job of setting up sound automatically, even if the card
is added after installation.

To check:

 	/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

If it's not, you probably want something like

alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1370
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-ens1370 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ens1370 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-ens1370 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ens1370

in /etc/modprobe.conf. Note that the last two entries are each on one single
line (i.e. one line begins 'install', the other 'remove'). Note that a FAQ
with ALSA is that it starts with all mixer levels at 0, so you probably want
to use alsamixer or gnome-volume-control or something to set them to more
sensible levels.

> Stuart.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?