[sclug] confused - wireless access

Darren Davison darren at davisononline.org
Thu Jun 23 08:10:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a small home network wired with a standard ethernet 8-port hub.  My
ADSL router plugs into the same hub and this also acts as DHCP server.  Now
I'd like to add wireless capability for my work lappie by plugging a wireless
access point (I assume?) into the hub.

My confusion is that most or all of the wireless access point products I look
at either say they have ADSL/Ethernet capability on board - which I don't
need, or that they plug directly into the ADSL router - which I don't *think*
I want.  I want to plug it into the hub.

A secondary concern is that some of the products say they have installation
"software" - my guess is it will be 'Doze only, unless it's accessed with a
browser.

So, can anyone set me straight on whether any wireless access products [1] can
be plugged into the hub (not the ADSL router) with cat5 and secondly whether
there are recommendations that mean I'm not going to need some dopey 'doze box
to configure it?

Many thanks in advance,
D.

[1] such as this one I looked at: