[sclug] kubuntu probs/questions

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Jun 27 23:32:35 UTC 2005

Sorry to answer my own query but I found some (unfortunately not all)
answers....

John Stumbles wrote:

 > I'm grappling with kubuntu and have a few questions, possibly the
main one being "where are good places to ask?" (I can't find any
*ubuntu* newsgroups)

I found http://ubuntuforums.org/ which got me an answer to the following ...

 > First as suggested by Tim Sutton in a thread many months back I did
 >  > apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
 > on my ubuntu 5.04 installation. I rather expected to get a
kde-looking desktop a la SuSE (which I was using before) but got
something almost indistinguishable from the standard gnome/gdm look but
actually running under kdm and with some kde apps added to the menus
(mostly without icons)

Answer was, I'd missed that on the login screen there's an icon at the
bottom left (sessions or display managers - forget which) which I needed
to use to select kde rather than gnome.

Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation) in an arm-waving sort
of way the relationship between kdm, gdm and kde and gnome? Seems I can
run gnome under kdm (and maybe I can run kde under gdm? (and what about
xdm??)) but I thought gdm gave you gnome, kdm -> kde.

--
John Stumbles