[sclug] kubuntu probs/questions

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Jun 27 23:42:58 UTC 2005

Ahoy,

On Tuesday 28 Jun 2005 00:32, John Stumbles wrote:
> Can anyone explain (or point me to an explanation) in an arm-waving sort
> of way the relationship between kdm, gdm and kde and gnome? Seems I can
> run gnome under kdm (and maybe I can run kde under gdm? (and what about
> xdm??)) but I thought gdm gave you gnome, kdm -> kde.

KDM, GDM, XDM, MDM, Entrance and various other programs are all basically just
login managers. They're just a fancy version of the shell login, and they
happen to use standard techniques to launch your chosen environment when you
login. Any compliant login manager will be able to launch any environment, be
it the shell again, KDE, GNOME, Xfce, and so on...

KDM, GDM, etc. often have other clever features but for most people they're
uninteresting :)

No waving arms, but hopefully that makes some sense?

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,
please e-mail me at: telex4 at yahoo.com