[sclug] Enforcing SCSI detection order

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Mar 4 20:04:37 UTC 2005

I have a whole bunch of USB and Firewire devices, which of course, on Linux
show up as SCSI devices.

Unfortunately, which device nodes they get mapped to depends on the order in
which the Linux kernel sees them, which depends on which ones are plugged
in/switched on.

Is there any way to enforce a particular device, such as my USB floppy drive,
to get mapped to one particular node, say /dev/sda, so that I know
that /dev/sda will *always* be the floppy drive or nonexistent if it's not
plugged in? I haven't reformatted my media drive (/dev/sdb) by accident yet,
and would rather make sure I don't.

I can't seem to find any information on doing this kind of thing anywhere...

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)