[sclug] Enforcing SCSI detection order

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 22:30:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Tom Chance wrote:

> On Friday 04 Mar 2005 19:55, David Given wrote:
>> I have a whole bunch of USB and Firewire devices, which of course, on Linux
>> show up as SCSI devices.

[snip]

>> Is there any way to enforce a particular device, such as my USB floppy
>> drive, to get mapped to one particular node, say /dev/sda, so that I know
>> that /dev/sda will *always* be the floppy drive or nonexistent if it's not
>> plugged in?

[snip]

> If you're using udev to populate the /dev filesystem, read this:
> http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

FYI, FC3 uses udev out of the box, along with hotplug. This way, when a USB
storage device is plugged in, any filesystems found are mounted under
/media/{filesystem label}. About the only thing I'm not happy with is that
the default behaviour is to set ownership to that of the user running a
local X session. That's usually the Right Thing, but I can think of
situations where that may be undesirable. :-)

> Regards,
> Tom

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?