[sclug] DHCP and DNS

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon May 2 21:48:47 UTC 2005

Will Dickson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For various unimportant reasons, I decided it would be an idea to
> migrate my LAN to DHCP. Well, it is the 21st century and all that...
> Specifically, I'm running a Smoothwall Express (firewall) which inter
> alia provides a DHCP server, so I thought it ought to be fairly
> drool-proof to set up.

[snip]

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Having thought about it, I've come
to the conclusion that what I really need is a conventional local DNS
service: keep the permanent residents static, use Smoothwall's DHCP to
cater for any guests which expect it, provide nice long leases, and
simply hand-hack guests into the DNS as required. It's crude but it
ought to be adequate for what I'm trying to do. The fact that it's also
pretty much the opposite of what I originally set out to do is neither
here nor there. :-)

Will.