[sclug] Re: Helping others into FOSS/Linux (Dr Adam J Trickett)

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Tue May 3 10:05:06 UTC 2005

I will turn a blind eye to a lot of this!  The plug-in/wireless service on
campus (aka the Bluesocket service) has a bandwidth limit of 2Mbit/s
(symmetric) per logged-on user [this is a configured limit, for a variety
of reasons], so that could get icky if lots of people are using a proxy
box through it.

The Bluesocket service doesn't, however, require the use of any proxies or
IP registration and only has minimal ports blocked [to prevent some
viruses spreading, mainly].

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Hamlesh Motah wrote:

> I didn't mean there was a problem with the internet at the last one
> mate.  I meant as in a potential problem with net access in Palmer as
> that's controlled by ITS, whereas I believe Dr. Bland is in charge of
> sys-eng's network :)

That is not 100% correct, but I won't debate the details here!  However,
if you have a sponsoring person (aka Ian Bland), this can make things
easier.

Ideally, I would suggest a special subnet, set up for the day, with no
proxy requirement, a DHCP pool and fast access.  However, this would need
a responsible member of staff and then have to be approved.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK