[sclug] Fedora Core 2-Modules loading problem + Unsuppoted Chipset

Navneet Choudhary navneetkc at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:11:03 UTC 2005

On 5/2/05, Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Does this means Super Micro M/B is not supported by FC2?
>
> No, it means that agpgart doesn't support your Chipset. This might only be a
> problem if you were planning on using hardware 3D acceleration (and even
> then, not if you're planning on using an nVidia card, as they provide their
> own AGP subsystem independent of agpgart).
>
> > 2>When i boot it with new kernel-2.6.10-1.771_FC2
> >
> > system shows "usbdevfs not supported by kernel"
> >
> > Does it means usbdevfs not support new kernel.
>
> Well, from the (out of context) message you've provided, I'd say that's the
> case.
>
> Please quote warning/informational/error messages exactly in future.
>
> Also, you'll very often find that googling for the error message you're
> interested in - in quotes - finds you explanations of what it means. This
> even applies to Windows and other closed operating systems.
>
> > 3>i can't able to load modules (i.e ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack)
> >
> > When i tried to manually load module:-
> >
> > [root at matrix root]# /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack
> > insmod: can't read 'ip_conntrack': No such file or directory
>
> Don't use insmod. Use modprobe instead.
>
> > [root at matrix root]#
> >

> > Slocate finds ip_conntrack and ip_nat_ftp modules
> >
> > [root at matrix root]# slocate ip_nat_ftp|more
> > /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> > /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> > /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> > /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.ko
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_nat_ftp.c
>
> slocate uses a cached index of the files on the system. Its cache may be out
> of date with what's /really/ present. Can you manually confirm that all
> those modules actually exist? Also, what kernel version were you running
> when you tried that command? (i.e. run 'uname -r' and reply with the exact
> result).
>
> > Trying to load all necesary iptables modules during bootup.
> > Here is my /etc/rc.local file content
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #
> > # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> > # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> > # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
> >
> > touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> > echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
> > /sbin/insmod ip_tables
> > /sbin/insmod ip_queue
> > /sbin/insmod iptable_filter
> > /sbin/insmod iptable_mangle
> > /sbin/insmod iptable_nat
> > /sbin/insmod ipt_state
> > /sbin/insmod ipt_owner
> > /sbin/insmod ip_nat_ftp
> > /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack
> > /sbin/insmod ip_conntrack_ftp
>
> Does FC2 not have /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config like FC3?
>
> I skipped FC2, so I don't know whether it's there, but if it is, using this
> is a far cleaner way of loading the netfilter helper modules.

Still can't able to load modules using /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config

all modules are present (ip_nat_ftp,ip_conntrack_ftp)

slocate cache database being updated (using updatedb)

[root at matrix root]# uname -a
Linux matrix 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp #1 SMP Mon Mar 28 01:10:51 EST 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

# Load additional iptables modules (nat helpers)
#   Default: -none-
# Space separated list of nat helpers (e.g. 'ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc'), which
# are loaded after the firewall rules are applied. Options for the helpers are
# stored in /etc/modules.conf.
#IPTABLES_MODULES="ip_nat_ftp ip_conntrack_ftp"

navneet