[sclug] top posting

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed May 4 19:15:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Personally I think top- or bottom- posting is crass - When we still spoke
> English and wrote words on paper and stuff, we would refer by precis to the
> points to which we were replying.  None of this lazy, cumbersome and
> incomprehensible 'threading' stuff. eg,
>
> "Dear John,
> You wrote that the Earth is flat. My own observations lead me to conclude
> that in fact the edges are curling, and   unless remedial steps are taken it
> will one day be round" etc etc.

[snip]

> Less is more, is it not?

Well, it blocks the potential complaint/comeback from John of "Now, you're
putting words in my mouth; what I /actually/ said was..." (who quite rightly
wants to put the record straight for posterity if his original statements
have been misrepresented).

> Regards,
> Neil Haughton

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?