[sclug] Top posting rules OK?

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Wed May 4 17:26:24 UTC 2005

>>The interesting question is why a standard was set without doing a
>>usability study first.
>>

>They're not standards, they're a community-agreed etiquette

Oh _please_!

> and were "set" by
>general user consensus

Oh _please_ again!

Who exactly is this 'community', to whom you refer? If you mean the
general emailing community then quite clearly the community agreed to do
whatever they damn well please.  If not, who conferred on them the right
to determine how others behaved? The general user consensus is no more
than what the majority decide to do, by collective decision or by
default. For better or worse the 'community' has clearly decreed that
top (or bottom, or middle) posting is okay. Fire it off, Fit and Forget.
Whatever. Tilting at windmills is not going to make a blind bit of
difference to what the majority do (I'm warming to my theme here) -
there're too many of them, and they have lives to lead. If they cared
they would try to spell proper as well.

I had an email from an estate agent recently that referred to a property
being in an 'area of outstanding natural duty'. Who is going to convince
such people how to correspond correctly?

Now I really do need that beer. :-P

Regards,

Neil Haughton