[sclug] Mixed fortunes

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Fri May 6 20:41:09 UTC 2005

Derek M Jones wrote:
> All,
>
> I don't seem to be having much success installing
> SUS 9.3 or Fedora core 3 :-(
>

> On the cheapo box from PC World (used as a dedicated
> internet box) Suse dies (or at least nothing is visible) fairly
> soon into the installation.  I suspect the video card, are
> 'backward' compatibility problems common with X.org?

FWIW, which probably isn't too much, my server box hangs when it tries
to install SuSE 9.2. It's still on 8.2 (which is fine), but might well
be getting Ubuntu'd quite shortly, since I don't think 8.2 will be
supported for too much longer. However, it dies even with text mode
install set, so I doubt it's a graphics card issue.

Do you have any idea what graphics chipset you've actually got there?
TNT2M64's seem to be quite popular in no-brand graphics cards, so it
could be one of those: if so, shouldn't be a problem.

Have you tried using text-mode install?

> I don't plan to upgrade any of my more upmarket machines
> for the time being.

Have you considered Kubuntu?

HTH

Will.