[sclug] Security cameras/Web Cams

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:46:48 UTC 2005

On 08/05/05, Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2005, Alan Pope wrote:

> > I've got a Philips Toucam 740K webcam which works under Ubuntu using
> > camstream or webcam (another bit of webcam software). I've never used
> > motion but understand it works as designed.
>
> I don't know if there is another driver for this, but the PWC driver for
> these webcams (made by Philips and rebadged by other companies, including
> Logitech) was discontinued - see http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

Yes, I am using the PWC driver - see below..

alan at wopr:~ $ lsmod | grep pwc
pwc                    78196  1
videodev                9728  3 sn9c102,pwc
usbcore               107384  7
sn9c102,snd_usb_audio,pwc,snd_usb_lib,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
alan at wopr:~ $ uname -a
Linux wopr 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Tue Apr 5 12:12:40 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Alan Cox put it back in after all the bruhaha calmed down. It's not in
vanilla kernels, but is available as a patch, which my Ubuntu Hoary
(and previously Warty) both have.

On Ubuntu, I just plugged it in and off it went, no patching,
compiling, faffing or anything other than just using it.

Cheers,
Al.