[sclug] Security cameras/Web Cams

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sun May 8 23:25:51 UTC 2005

On 08/05/05, Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2005, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > alan at wopr:~ $ lsmod | grep pwc
> > pwc                    78196  1
> > videodev                9728  3 sn9c102,pwc
> > usbcore               107384  7
> > sn9c102,snd_usb_audio,pwc,snd_usb_lib,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
> > alan at wopr:~ $ uname -a
> > Linux wopr 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Tue Apr 5 12:12:40 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> You don't have the pwcx driver -- is that still separate, or has the patch
> merged it somehow?  That made a big difference to performance when using
> larger resolutions, in my tests (maybe just because I did them on a
> Celeron/333!).

The pwcx driver is no longer required. From what I remember it turned
out that the binary component didn't really do anything super secret
and so the code was rolled into the pwc driver itself rather than have
the external hook. I may be way off the mark, but I've deleted all the
LKML threads about it now so it would take a rummage around in google
to get the right story.

There's also a separate utility called "setpwc" which can be used to
monkey around with resolution settings and the like.

I've been using camstream to capture images on my camera, and it has
pretty much everything you get on an equivalent windows app for the
same camera.

Cheers,
Al.