[sclug] Web hosting

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon May 9 18:35:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 02:36:33PM +0100, Roland Turner (SCLUG) wrote:
> Peter Brewer wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a Linux friendly web host for a new commerical
> > startup company running from the University of Reading.  Our wish
> > list is:
> > 1) Good reliable company that isn't going to go down for days on end
> > after hardware failure!
> > 2) Linux based (obviously!)
> > 3) Postgres
> > 4) PHP
> > 5) Secure pages

> > The site is unlikely to require high volume or bandwidth so hopefully
> > we won't need anything too expensive.

Shame.  Hosting high bandwidth stuff is more fun but yeah we can do all
of that ;)

> Bytemark[1] offers an interesting service that sits somewhere between a
> typical webapp+DB solution and a more flexible colocation service. You
> gain almost all of the control ofered by a colo service (minus custom
> kernel builds), but get to avoid any responsibility for hardware issues;
> Bytemark will move your VM between hosts as neccessary to deal with
> performance issues, hardware replacement and, rarely, hardware failures.
> Generally speaking this occurs without your even being aware of it.

How do they hold up when you have many customers running their own
entire DB server or do they offer a separate machine to save on those
overheads?

We're quite interested in Xen as a VM but haven't really had time lately
to look at new offerings.

> 1: http://www.bytemark.co.uk/hosting/virtualmachine/index.html

Simon.

--
        Black Cat Networks        -( "That's a scientific fact. There's  )-
UK domain, email and web hosting  -( no scientific evidence for it, but  )-