[sclug] Web hosting

Roland Turner SCLUG raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Mon May 9 13:36:40 UTC 2005

Peter Brewer wrote:

> I'm trying to find a Linux friendly web host for a new commerical
> startup company running from the University of Reading.  Our wish list
> is:
>
> 1) Good reliable company that isn't going to go down for days on end
> after hardware failure!
> 2) Linux based (obviously!)
> 3) Postgres
> 4) PHP
> 5) Secure pages
>
> The site is unlikely to require high volume or bandwidth so hopefully
> we  won't need anything too expensive.

Bytemark[1] offers an interesting service that sits somewhere between a
typical webapp+DB solution and a more flexible colocation service. You
gain almost all of the control ofered by a colo service (minus custom
kernel builds), but get to avoid any responsibility for hardware issues;
Bytemark will move your VM between hosts as neccessary to deal with
performance issues, hardware replacement and, rarely, hardware failures.
Generally speaking this occurs without your even being aware of it.

(Disclosures: I am a Bytemark customer and will gain a small referrer
basis if you sign up and list me as having referred you, but have no other
interest in whether or not people use the service. I am, however, a
particularly satisfied customer.)

- Raz

1: http://www.bytemark.co.uk/hosting/virtualmachine/index.html