[sclug] An introduction and some questions

Alan Hawes alan at haweshouse.co.uk
Wed May 11 21:22:03 UTC 2005

Hi all

Firstly, I feel an introduction is in order.

I'm Alan. I'm a Windsor Linux user & have been using Linux for the past 3-4
years. I've tried various distributions but am currently using Mandriva.

I'd like to pick your collective brains if that is ok.

I've recently installed the proprietary ATI drivers for XORG 6.8 and have
found them less than stable ( I'll be surprised if I manage to complete this
email!!). I installed them simply to play Unreal 2004 which works fine but,
apart from the lack of installation instructions that come with them, my
system appears to hang completely. I cannot kill X or jump into a virtual
terminal I just have to reset the machine.

My question is, has anyone had good results from using NVIDIA and their
proprietary drivers? I've sort of had enough of ATI now as I have had driver
issues on Windows and did tried to install the Linux specific ones before but
had to return to the XFree ones after several crashes. I would use the XORG
drivers but the hardware acceleration isn't quite there yet.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Alan