[sclug] An introduction and some questions

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Wed May 11 21:36:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Alan Hawes wrote:

> I've recently installed the proprietary ATI drivers for XORG 6.8 and have
> found them less than stable ( I'll be surprised if I manage to complete this
> email!!).

[snip]

> My question is, has anyone had good results from using NVIDIA and their
> proprietary drivers?

They used to work well for me whilst I was running RH7.3 and RH8.0, but
since upgrading to FC3, I've had to linger on an older version of the
drivers AND patch the kernel AND patch nVidia's kernel driver. This is on a
Toshiba laptop using the GeForce 2go chipset.

Quite honestly, I'd advise playing games either under Windows or on a
console, and using the Free (i.e. non-proprietary) ATI and nVidia drivers
for anything else 3D related. ATI have also been more co-operative with Free
software developers than nVidia, which deserves reward in my book.

> Alan

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?