[sclug] Cheap cables - are they cheap?

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Fri May 20 17:10:24 UTC 2005

>>I'd skip on the absolute cheapest, but 2-3GBP for a 1.5m USB cable seems
>>fair. 10-15 seems extortionate, unless you need it NOW to get some expensive
>>piece of hardware working.
>>

>>>Thanks.
>>>  Confused, of Maidenhead.

Don't forget to add the p&p factor when comparing with your local retail
emporium or corner shop. You might well find 4 - 5 GBP P&P on a typical
online site which is fine for a load of stuff, but for a cable or two
dents the savings somewhat. Then there's the hassle  if you have to
return it as faulty (or imperfect) - that can take weeks to sort out
(Dabs and EBuyer are hopelessly slow and frustrating at this, and you
can never get hold of someone if they fail to respond. They've given me
quite the most awful retail therapy I have ever had). Set against that,
a higher price from your local shop may not sound so bad.

Nearly everytime I buy something online I swear 'never again ' :-)

Regards,

Neil.