[sclug] Trouble installing NVidia kernel module with custom kernel

Taiyo Rawle taiyo_rawle at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 30 15:44:35 UTC 2005

'evening all!

I have an odd problem:

I'm using Mandriva LE2005, but with a custom kernel
(built from the 2.6.11-11 source from kernel.org and
the kraxel patches to get my nova-T DVB card working)
The only other options I fiddled with before building
are to turn on preemtability and disable a bunch of
laptop-specific features that I don't need.

The problem is that when I compile the NVidia kernel
module using the NV installer, it compiles allright
but it won't load, I get this message:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-kraxel1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko):
Invalid module format

I've read that this happens if the kernel and module
were compiled using different versions of GCC (3.3 and
3.4), but unless the NV installer includes it's own
version then both were built using GCC 3.4.3 that
shipped with LE2005...

X still works on the "nv" driver.

Free beers on me for whoever tells me what I'm doing
wrong ;?)

Cheers!