[sclug] USB card won't come out to play

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 3 18:58:39 UTC 2005

> Re: [sclug] USB card won't come out to play
> From:
> James Wyper <jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk>
> Date:
> Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:24:03 +0000 (GMT)
> To:
> sclug at sclug.org.uk
>
> To:
> sclug at sclug.org.uk
>

>>Works here. I have the OHCI USB 1.1 controllers on the motherboard
>>with
>>a UHCI/EHCI USB 2.0/IEEE1394 VIA PCI card. Everything works as
>>expected,
>>which is not 100% perfect but close enough :-/
>>

>Works for me too, but only on the second attempt (with a Belkin branded
>card; my first attempt with a brand X (Safecom?) USB2 card only worked
>at 1.1 speed).
>
>If Windows won't recognise it, and it didn't come with drivers, the
>chances are IMO that you have a hardware problem.

Thanks to all who tried to help with this. I have egg on my face - when
I returned the card to Maplin for a refund, one of the assistants
overheard the conversation and popped over to point out that it isn't a
USB host card, it's an internal USB hub - you have to use a short
external cable to connect it to an existing external USB port. Without
this it only supplies power from the PCI bus.

Doh!

The instructions are pants because they failed to make this point very
clearly - or perhaps the fault is my poor command of pidgin English. Or
perhaps I am just plain thick. To be fair the box does call it a USB Hub
Card, so perhaps it is the latter :-(

Older and wiser....

Neil