[sclug] USB Hub Card

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Sat Nov 5 14:12:35 UTC 2005

>> ...To be fair the box does call it a USB Hub Card, so perhaps it is
>> the latter :-(
>>
>> Older and wiser....
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Or maybe that fact that it sounds like the most pointless bit of
> hardware out there!!!
>
> Why would any want a PCI slot used by a USB hub when the external ones
> are much better!!!

Two reasons, I guess - first, an external hub is yet another bit of kit
cluttering up the place. An internal device is somwhat tidier, IMHO.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, this hub card draws and supplies
power direct from the PCI bus, so it can power devices with up to 500mA
per port with current limiting, without putting a drain on the power the
main USB host provides. As it turns out, I have four spare PCI slots
(three now), so the loss of a slot is no hardship.

Regards,

Neil