[sclug] taking video of desktop application

Spiros Kapetanakis spizkapa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:36:35 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help with the following problem:

I'd like to take a video of my Linux desktop. In particular, I'd like
to be able to take a video of an application running on my Linux
desktop. For example, I'd like to be able to record all activity
within one window on my desktop (e.g. the firefox window) to produce a
video (encoded in any suitable way) for giving to the users.

I vaguely remember this being possible. I remember an article in
_some_ magazine that introduced how this could be done and how useful
it is in conjuction with something like moodle. You could envisage
creating a video tutorial for an application, instead of just
screenshots.

Can someone throw some ideas my way? It may help to jiggle the right
neurons... unless they were obliterated during the last lug meeting.
Many thanks.

Spiros