[sclug] Samba and fstab

Graham lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 15:24:13 UTC 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:39:33 +0000
> From: Peter Brewer <p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk>
> Subject: [sclug] Samba and fstab
> To: sclug at sclug.org.uk
>
> After thrashing away with sshfs and shfs for a few days I've finally
> decided that they are both flakey and slow so I've gone back to using
> smbfs.  I've set up my share and all works well from my client when I
> use Konqueror to browse e.g.:
>
> smb://user@server/share
>
> I can read and write to the share happily which is what I had intended.
> The problems start when I try and add this mount to my fstab.  Using any
> of the following lines:
>
> //hostname/data    /data   smbfs
> user,rw,iocharset=utf8,uid=500,gid=500,fmask=775,dmask=775,credentials=/home/aps03pwb/.smbpasswd
> 0   0
> //hostname/data    /data   smbfs
> defaults,credentials=/home/aps03pwb/.smbpasswd     0   0
> //hostname/data    /data   smbfs defaults,username=foo,password=bar
> 0   0
>
> They all mount the share successfully but none of them let me write to
> the folder.  The credentials  file contains the same user details as I
> was specifiying with the GUI in Konq.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Pete

	I think the fmask and dmask is a bit like umask - the negative of what you'd expect
	What do the files and dirs look like with   ls -l
	Can root uid=0 override local permissions? Ownership as expected?
	Does "mount" show readonly?
	There is probably an SMB monitor on the WIN32 box, it might show access errors

   regards
--
   Graham
   gps @ Information-Cascade .co.uk