[sclug] Performance tuning

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 23:00:53 UTC 2005

All,

I am running some scripts that take a cpu day or
three to complete.  The scripts call a number of
programs.  None take very long to execute (the scripts
loop over a couple of million files performing various
operations).

Tuning is a problem because I cannot find a way of summing
the time spent executing various scripts or programs.

What I really need is a bash option that will sum the total
time taken by all the scripts and programs that are executed
by it and its child processes (and print these value out when
the top level shell terminates).

Short of editing the source of bash I cannot think of
any way of obtaining the information I am after.  Does anybody
have any ideas?  An accuracy of +/-10% would be good enough.

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk
Applications Standards Conformance Testing    http://www.knosof.co.uk