[sclug] 2 workstations sharing /home

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sun Nov 27 01:06:31 UTC 2005

Hi

You should be able to set separate KDEDIR (iirc) vars on each pc.

e.g. in yout .xinitrc export KDEDIR=${HOME}.kde_`hostname`

Or something along those lines (havent tested it here as its late and Im
off to bed...:-( )

Regards

Tim

John Stumbles wrote:
> I'm setting up a new PC which I'd eventually like to replace my old
> desktop, but not until I've got it set up with everything I had (and
> wanted) on the old one.
>
> In the interim I'm exporting /home from the old PC and mounting it over
> /home on the new one, but this pantses up wrt kde's config. E.g. the new
> machine doesn't have the same apps installed on it or they may have
> different names/locations, so the kde menu doesn't work on the new
> machine (I don't even _have_ a K menu on the new one atm).
>
> Is there [an easy|any] way to set things up to work the way I want?
>
> I think I probably need to do something with ~/.kde/ to separate out the
> resources that different machines access in there. Maybe mv ~/.kde to
> somewhere that's not overmounted by /home and symlink from ~ to the real
> directory? Do I need to do the same with .qt/ also?
>
> I'm sure I'm not the first person who's wanted to do this: is there a
> standard way to do it?
>
> On a related matter I'd like to set up my laptop so that when it's
> connected to my home network it accesses the /home export in this way,
> but works stand-alone elsewhere. Again are there ready-rolled solutions
> for this.
>
> Sorry, I know I should STFW for this but I can't think what I'd even ask
> mr google. Googling with my rather woolly subject line (+ 'kde', 'linux'
> and 'nfs') doesn't get anything useful.

- --
Tim Sutton (tim at linfiniti.com)

Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS application