[sclug] puzzle: including ~/bin in $PATH

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 09:05:21 UTC 2005

Apologies if you've already seen a message on these lines: I thought I'd
sent it but I didn't see it on the list and it isn't in my Sent or
Drafts folders.

(I also didn't see my own original post on this subject appear on the
list although a copy is in my Sent folder. Wierd.)

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> John Stumbles wrote:
>
>> If I do something like `touch foo` after setting PATH (above) it works
>> on the kubuntu machine but not on the sarge machine
>
> In what way does it not work on the sarge machine? 'touch' is typically
> /bin/touch, so including or excluding ~/bin should make no difference.

Sorry, I meant that if I add a line like that to .bash_profile i.e.

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
     PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
     touch foo
fi

to see if it gets run, id doesn't on sarge but does on kubuntu.

I did wonder if sarge had my shell as /bin/sh but it's /bin/bash, same
as on kubuntu. Is there anything else that determines what startup files
get run? The only difference I could see is that on kubuntu /etc/profile
calls /etc/bash.bashrc which does things like set window size, prompt
and xterm title bar.

--
John Stumbles                                      mobile 0780 866 8204
plumbing:heating:electrical:property maintenance     home 0118 954 2406