[sclug] Dell desktop for 175GBP inc. delivered - offer closes 2/11/2005

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Oct 27 18:18:48 UTC 2005

Bob Franklin wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

--8<--

> I would certainly get the system such that your normal day-to-day
> activities are not causing swapping.  Memory is pretty cheap these days,
> although I can understand not wanting to spend money on memory for old
> computers that can't be reused in new ones (fortunately all my PCs take
> PC-100/-133 RAM and I inherited a box of it).

> On the subject of eBuyer - I know everyone has a horror story about
> every retailer, but I have had several appalling incidents with them and
> they're one of the few retailers I've not forgiven.  Making mistakes is
> one thing, but (at least at the time - back in February) being only able
> to contact them through their crummy eNotes system (and not being able
> to call them) was unacceptable.
> This experience has been repeated with several people within our
> department at work (on personal sales - not business) and I think the
> feeling is pretty consitent.

I'd had pretty reasonable dealings with them (although only had to
return 1 or 2 items, but that had gone OK) until this summer when I
returned a duff CF card with an accompanying letter ascking if they'd
send an SD as replacement since one of the CF-using cameras I'd bought
from them had gone bosoms up. They ignored this, replied (after about 3
weeks) to an enote to the same effect practically ignoring the gist of
my message, completely ignored a snail mail and when I tried recently
their phone line wasn't even allowing you to join the queue. (They did
actually replace the card however.)

So I'm not inclined to put any business their way if there's a
reasonable alternative (which I was hoping someone might suggest) and
certainly not for anything I might have to communicate with them about
other than to request an RMA. Trouble is they do seem to be much the
cheapest around: even dabs is ?10 more for the same spec machine.

--
John Stumbles