[sclug] USB card won't come out to play

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 11:40:17 UTC 2005

Neil Haughton wrote:
> Can anyone help with a little problem that is teasing me at the moment?
>
> My motherboard has USB2 build in, but I've used all 4 ports and need
> some more.  I picked up a PCI USB1.1 card (fine for mouse and printer)
> on the cheap at Maplins, and I thought I could just plug it in and I'd
> be away. But no, the card just isn't recognised. I've checked the BIOS
> to see if there is something to switch on or off, and the only thing I
> could find was Legacy USB support, which I enabled. No improvement - the
> ports aren't even shown in USBView.

Does the card show up in lspci? lsusb?

> Can anyone tell me what's wrong? What have I missed?

FWIW I've never had any luck getting an addon USB card to co-operate
with on-board USB. (I was trying the other way round - old VIA-chipset
mobo only had USB2 on an extension for which you needed a separate
backplane plate, which I didn't have.) After the second card which just
sat there I got bored and swapped out the box (it was getting a bit long
in the tooth anyway.)

Personally, if I was in your situation I'd probably wimp out and get a
powered hub instead. D-Link do a 7-port one for about 20 quid or so
(model no. DUB-H7). Plus you don't have to grovel about behind the
machine to connect the devices, which for me at least is a major bonus.

Will.