[sclug] Moving root filesystem from one drive to another

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 09:09:48 UTC 2006

Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:

> I would just make this change.  Create the fourth partition on the
> current hdb drive. Copy the contents of / to the  new hdb4. Then change
> lilo to boot using the new partition.

Does Mandriva still use lilo, then? I thought everyone had gone over to
grub now; KUbuntu certainly has. Moving from lilo to grub might be
"interesting", but the good news is that once it's installed properly
grub is a lot more forgiving than lilo - you just need to alter its menu
file and reboot. No more "LI" diagnostics!

Incidentally, I personally wouldn't bother putting /usr on a separate
partition. Pretty much everything in there is part of the OS, and as
such it can live or die with the rest of the OS on /.

Will.