[sclug] Moving root filesystem from one drive to another

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at weardale.cl
Thu Aug 3 19:15:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 10:11 +0100, Will Dickson wrote:
> Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
> >
> > I would just make this change.  Create the fourth partition on the
> > current hdb drive. Copy the contents of / to the  new hdb4. Then change
> > lilo to boot using the new partition.
>
> Does Mandriva still use lilo, then?

I've really no idea,  In fact I've never hears of  Mandriva.

However,

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 13:41 +0100, James Wyper wrote:

> 5.  Edit lilo.conf and /etc/fstab on hda4 to change all references to
> hdb* to hda*, and hda1 to hda4.  Run lilo to install the MBR on hda.

So I spoke lilo rather than grub.

> Incidentally, I personally wouldn't bother putting /usr on a separate
> partition. Pretty much everything in there is part of the OS, and as
> such it can live or die with the rest of the OS on /.

IMHO that's a bit of a holy war subject.

Personally I prefer to separate out /tmp, /boot, /home, /var, /opt,
and /usr.  However,  I found that during upgrades you would find one or
more partitions was too small. So you end up reinstalling.  So these
days I keep everything in one partition.

Tom.
Those that understand Binary and those that don't.