[sclug] Moving root filesystem from one drive to another

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 10:20:51 UTC 2006

John Barron wrote:

> Make sure you have your ethernet and router/internet connection working with
> the LiveCD before you begin. It's not crucial,

In the case of KUbuntu, if the network isn't functional at install time,
the apt repository config won't be set up properly. I dare say it's
possible to fix this up subsequently, but it's much easier to not get
into the situation in the first place.

BTW, KUbuntu now always sets itself to DHCP if there's a DHCP server
available, although it can be persuaded otherwise if that's what you
want. (I have DHCP available for visitors, but the permanent members of
my network are static.)

but Kubuntu will look for it
> while installing so it's helpful if you've got it. (if you're not using a
> router yet, back up a step and go and do that first - it's basically a really
> good idea whatever setup you're using).

Absolutely. The default KUbuntu setup is reasonably tough - there isn't
much listening by default - but even so, not having to worry about the
occasional lapse is important for a desktop IMO.

Will.