[sclug] Routers [OT] - was moving root filesystem from one drive to another

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 10:37:52 UTC 2006

--- John Barron <mail at europa.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> (if you're not
> using a
> router yet, back up a step and go and do that first - it's basically
> a really
> good idea whatever setup you're using).

I'm not using a router yet - the PC in question is acting as a router
for my internet connection, one wired PC, and one wireless laptop using
a very old Raylink card (all of 1Mbps).  Needless to say, it has no
spare PCI slots now.

I was considering getting a wireless router / firewall at some point in
the near future anyway (prompted mainly by the availability of cheap
Netgear MP101 wireless audio players on ebay).  So, apologies if this
is a bit OT but what are people's thoughts on recommendable routers
with support for:

802.11g (for preference - b would be just about OK)
IP connection tracking (for Netmeeting)
Traffic shaping
DNAT
ADSL support isn't necessary as I'm with NTL's cable service - though
it might be useful in the future if I ever get by broadband elsewhere.

Do such beasts exist?  Or am I better off sticking with what I have?

Thanks (and also for your replies to my original query)
James.