[sclug] Moving root filesystem from one drive to another

Tom Dawes-Gamble tmdg at weardale.cl
Thu Aug 3 20:42:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 20:38 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 20:15, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
> > Personally I prefer to separate out /tmp, /boot, /home, /var, /opt,
> > and /usr.  However,  I found that during upgrades you would find one
> or
> > more partitions was too small. So you end up reinstalling.  So these
> > days I keep everything in one partition.
>
> What's the advantage in having so many separate partitions? I can
> understand
> it for /boot and /home but the others baffle me :o)

The advantage is I like it that way.  :-)

To me the choice of several smaller partitions over one large partition
is like the choice of paint colours.  I happen to like black as a colour
for my car.  However, I wouldn't choose to paint any of walls in my
house black.

regards,
Tom.

Those that understand Binary and those that don't.