[sclug] veeeerrrrryyyy looooong delay booting (initrd)

Will Dickson wrd at glaurung.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 12 01:00:17 UTC 2006

Ed Davies wrote:
> I think it's because I have my disks on a UDMA card - not
> on either of the IDE buses on the motherboard.  /dev/hda &
> b don't exist.  The CD drives are /dev/hdc & d and the hard
> disks are /dev/hde & f.  My suspicion is that the system is
> taking a lot of time to give up probing the motherboard
> IDEs.  This is only a guess, though.

FWIW (probably not much :-) I don't have any IDE hard drives at all -
mine's SATA, which thinks it's SCSI. DVD/CD-RW combo drive on /dev/hdc,
Zip drive on /dev/hdd.

Have you tried disabling the unused IDE channel in the CMOS?

Again FWIW, my Dapper takes its sweet time mounting filesystems as well;
not long enough to count as broken, just long enough to be a wind-up -
"ha ha, you thought I wasn't going to mount '/' there, didn't you? Gotcha!"

Will.