[sclug] installing Debian on HP Proliant ML110 G3

Adam John Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Sat Aug 19 21:00:54 UTC 2006

Rachel wrote:

> The reason I need Apache 1.3 rather than 2 is that, as a web developer,
> I've yet to encounter a live server running Apache 2 and I'd rather keep
> our dev environment similar to the boxes we go live on. When I'm finding
> that most hosting services are running Apache 2 we'll upgrade.

Lots of live web servers run Apache 2. Apache 1.3 is now officially in
"legacy" mode, so it only gets developer attention if a security bug is
found. I do accept that an awful lot of servers are still running the
older versions, but as systems are upgraded with new OSes I'm sure
you'll see a gradual migration to Apache 2 and 2.2.

There are quite a few good reasons to favour Apache 2 and Apache 2.2
over 1.3, however Linux doesn't see as many of the advantages as some of
the other Unix and Windows/Novell in particular which are much better in
their 2.x flavours.