[sclug] installing Debian on HP Proliant ML110 G3

John Barron mail at europa.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 20 07:52:47 UTC 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 04:07, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 12:27:57AM +0100, John Barron wrote:
> > Well... as others are saying, apache 1.3 has become legacy and therefore
> > you need to be moving to apache 2.  As a professional software developer
> > myself, I understand the need to support what your customers are using,
> > and do your development in a similar environment.
>
> I seriously doubt that it is not possible to install apache 1.3 on
> Debian Etch.  Actually let's not bother doubting and find out, since
> I happen to have an etch xen domain hanging around doing nothing..

<snip>
> No issue whatsoever.  The only package that refers to apache2 is
> apache2-utils, which most likely contains something that works for
> both 1.3.x and 2.x.

and possibly libapr0. Like you I would have imagined that those might have
something that works for both (at least in theory), though it's the sort of
observation that catches the eye when things don't play nice.

> As to what the original poster's actual problem is, I don't know,
> but most likely a package conflict due to apache2 or some part of it
> already being installed.

Quite possible, but doesn't make it less of an issue to the person trying to
fix it, and having being able to reproduce it on a standard Ubuntu Dapper I
don't doubt the OP's report that it can happen on vanilla Debian as well
without doing anything especially peculiar along the way.

Admittedly the system I got the same effect on is my primary desktop, so has
many assorted packages already installed, though not apache. I'd be curious
whether the same result would obtain after performing a minimal Debian or
Ubuntu server installation, and then adding apache 1.3, or whether it would
work as yours did. Though it's possible the OP has already tried that.

John