[sclug] Partitions on /dev/sdb

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Aug 21 18:45:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:52:01 +0100
"Sapan Ganguly" <sapan.ganguly at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've stuck a 500Gb RAID array on a machine under /dev/sdb.  I'm just
> going to put data on it.  Is there any technical reason for me not to
> just format and mount it as /dev/sdb?  Or should I create a big
> partiton on it as /dev/sdb1 first?  The reason I ask is that it seems
> to accept /dev/sdb as one big partition and I can apply /dev/sdb to my
> mount point, it seems to work.  Am I going to run into a problem
> later?

Well, if you're doing RAID for redundancy then I recommend you do it in
the best disaster recovery way. Have more than one partition, for the
event of getting filled before you expect you will have some space to
symlink to. This is helpful as you can keep a ceiling on the rest of the
filesystem. Others might disagree with that, but at least have a
partition table so that you can easily take the array to another IO
board, or OS.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
proud bash hacker