[sclug] Wireless card on Linux

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 21:21:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Tom Chance wrote:

> On Monday 21 August 2006 18:17, Alex Butcher wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:
>>> Can any one offer advice recommendations on any of the following
>>> offerings?
>>>
>>> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Wireless/subcat/PCI-Adapters
>>>
>>> I suppose I'm really seeking a painless solution, if there is one.
>>
>> The most painless will probably be something using a Prism or Cisco Aironet
>> chipsets (as these chipsets require no firmware downloads, and their
>> drivers are in the mainline kernel). Expect to pay more than these prices,
>> even on eBay.
>
> Or the RaLink rt2500 chipset, which is well supported and included by some
> distributions such as (K)Ubuntu by default and considerably cheaper than the
> Prism or Cisco cards:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rt2400

Yes, that would probably be next on my list, particularly as Ralink wrote
the drivers then GPL'ed them, which is The Right Thing To Do, and deserves
rewarding. Unfortunately, the drivers still aren't in the mainline kernel,
so it's not entirely painless, unlike Prism and Cisco.

<http://ralink.rapla.net/> is a list of devices which use the RT2500.

> Regards,
> Tom

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK.                           PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
  - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>