[sclug] Wanted: text mode word processor

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Dec 6 22:51:57 UTC 2006

I'm looking for a simple word processor that runs in a terminal. Can anyone
suggest one?

I'm particularly looking for an actual *word processor*, that will display
basic markup like bold and italic[1], and not a text editor. I particularly
don't want to use LaTeX or troff or some such control-sequence-based system
--- call me prejudiced, but I don't like trying to write and program at the
same time.

What I would *really* like is Word 5 for DOS for Linux --- possibly
Microsoft's greatest achievement. Simple, small, fast, and highly usable. But
there doesn't seem to be anything like it around these days.

Any ideas?

[1] Yes, I'm aware that a terminal probably won't display bold and italic as
*actual* bold and italic. I can cope with that.

--
???David Given???McQ?? "...electrons, nuclei and other particles are good
?? dg at cowlark.com????? approximations to perfectly elastic spherical