[sclug] Character encoding - summary

Peter Brewer p.w.brewer at reading.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 14:54:51 UTC 2006

Many thanks for everyone's replies.  To summarise:

Most modern browsers ignore character encoding meta tags for various
technical reasons, so they are essentially useless.  There are two ways
to deal with this problem:

1) Set the encoding in your web server e.g. in Apache using the
directive "AddDefaultCharset iso-8859-1".  This is of course server wide
though so may not be terribly desirable.

2) Set the encoding in the headers, in my case using PHP:
header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1");

So in answer to Sean's question - no I haven't found another way to do
it using META tags.

Cheers

Peter