[sclug] Character encoding - summary

Roland Turner SCLUG raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Thu Dec 7 17:10:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 14:55 +0000, Peter Brewer wrote:

> So in answer to Sean's question - no I haven't found another way to do
> it using META tags.

I had meant to comment earlier, in particular to ask "why use 8859-1 in
the first place?" - the '90s are well and truly over.

- For all current development work, you'd be well advised to use UTF-8
wherever possible. (OK, perhaps you're willing to exlude Chinese, Hindi,
even Greek, but what about "?"?)

- Further, if your concern is with solving the problem within the HTML
text (i.e. that reconfiguring the server is a concern), then you can
simply (!) use character entities directly within the HTML; the
"charset=" parameter in the HTTP header or META EQUIV tags is then
irrelevant.

- Raz