[sclug] domain / www hosting

ed ed at s5h.net
Fri Dec 22 15:46:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:37:42 +0000
Darren Davison <darren at davisononline.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> not really a linux question, but I thought someone on here would
> know..
>
> I want to get a few megs of free space for my domain so I can host it
> under www.davisononline.org  There are plenty of companies offering
> small amounts of space for free, but all of them seem to insist on me
> changing the DNS servers for my domain to them.
>
> I understand they want this to be able to keep the www record up to
> date, but I don't want to lose control of this (unless there's no
> real danger in doing so??)
>
> Does anyone know of a free hoster that will just tell me which IP
> address to associate with my www A record in the DNS so that I can
> keep control at NetworkSolutions?  Do such things exist?

assuming you own your domain, you will be in control of it. you can
change your domain name's name server records at any time, to whatever
you wish. this does not loose your control over the domain.

the only time you would loose control is if you transfer the domain to
another registrar.

you can ask the hosting provider to supply you with the address record
of your host, you can then create a cname that points to this address
record.

www.sh3lls.net seem reasonable with this. there is also host199.com (or
something, my google foo is not strong today), a community based
host... they should be flexible.

normally they can provide you with the ip address of the host. if the
host's ip address fluctuates frequently then i would advise that you
host it elsewhere.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.ednevitable.co.uk
proud perl hacker