[sclug] domain / www hosting

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Dec 25 17:08:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:51:23 +0000
Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> wrote:

> 'ello ed
>
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 09:56:06PM +0000, ed wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:47:41 +0000
> > Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> wrote:
> > > I just find it a little odd that a company providing webhosting
> > > would *insist* (i.e. actually bother to check) that you were using
> > > their nameservers.
> > they insist so when it's billing time they can pull the dns a little
> > easier. that's all.
>
> Why is pulling the DNS easier than pulling the virtual host?  (And
> wasn't the OP talking about free hosting?)

lo simon,

if the host looks after the dns and the webhosting then email records
are also at their mercy. a lot of people do not care about this much so
they dont mind having a single entity as their web designer, host,
email and registrar, that's perfectly ok... but some people dont like
it all in one place. in this case it probably doesn't apply, but in the
majority of cases if the webhost is not paid then they can be devious
and refuse to alter the www record or anything else until payment has
cleared.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
just another java hacker