[sclug] domain / www hosting

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 26 01:05:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 05:07:51PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> NSI are evil.  At some point they merged with Verisign.  They just don't
> care about end users.  We attempted to transfer a .co.uk from the tag
> VERISIGN-GRS but never got any response from them and in the end had to
> invoke Nominet to help us (and ask them to look at Verisign's tag holder
> committments to Nominet/registrants).
>
> Verisign are the people who brought us Site Finder
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/16/all_your_web_typos/
> though they did get rid of it.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/04/icann_demand_sees_verisign_pull/

Verisign are also quite happy to send bills for domains that weren't
registered with them, in the hope of scamming a transfer out of
people:

http://www.scarydevil.com/~peter/io/vs/

Appalling levels of customer (non-)service, antiquated and awkward
systems, and shady business practices.. avoid!

Cheers,
Andy