[sclug] domain / www hosting

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Dec 25 17:07:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:54:10AM +0000, Darren Davison wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 11:05:16AM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> > Seriously, move the domain to an OpenSRS based reseller (disclaimer:
> > I represent Black Cat Networks, an OpenSRS reseller) or any other
> > competent reseller really.
> so, what is the issue with NetworkSolutions, and what is good/better
> about OpenSRS?

NSI are evil.  At some point they merged with Verisign.  They just don't
care about end users.  We attempted to transfer a .co.uk from the tag
VERISIGN-GRS but never got any response from them and in the end had to
invoke Nominet to help us (and ask them to look at Verisign's tag holder
committments to Nominet/registrants).

Verisign are the people who brought us Site Finder
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/09/16/all_your_web_typos/
though they did get rid of it.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/04/icann_demand_sees_verisign_pull/

A quick google pulls up many articles on problems with them.  I guess
if I'm charitable then they are just a large registrar which was once in
a monopoly position and they haven't really changed at all.

Move to a more modern, more automated, registrar like OpenSRS, Joker etc
where it's easier to transfer between resellers.

If you really want to see a top-class registry then buy a .uk domain.
Nominet, and Nominet members, leave you much more in control of your
domain and in a better situation if the people you bought your domain
through go bust than .com/.net/.org etc.

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|         "Fast, fat computers breed slow, lazy programmers."         |_